In this article we review how Qigong can be used for sleep enhancement. The practice of Qigong is all about teaching you to become more aware of your mind and your body. In training this, one can become more aware of sensations and thoughts that otherwise prevent sleep. There are a few techniques that you can use to help you sleep and we have listed these below.
Three-Stage Qigong Exercise for Sleep
- Moving of Yin and Yang: Begin with your hands facing your body, gently moving them up and down. Visualize a column of energy at the center of your torso and focus on stimulating the flow of energy within this column.
- Breathing of the Universe: With your hands resting below your navel, open your arms wide as you take deep breaths. As you bring your hands back toward your body, exhale deeply.
- Joining of Yin and Yang: Imagine a vibrant energy ball between your palms and guide it through movements that involve your whole body. This practice serves to renew and harmonize your energy, leaving you in a state of balance and readiness for restful sleep.
The Three-Step Method for Sleep Preparation
- Step 1: Physical Preparation: Lie flat on your back, palms stacked beneath your navel, and cross your feet, placing your left foot over your right. Press your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Allow your eyes to remain slightly open, permitting minimal light to filter through, while keeping your body relaxed.
- Step 2: Deep Breathing: Take a series of deep breaths, directing them into your chest and expanding your stomach. Hold each breath for several seconds before releasing it gradually. Aim to empty your lungs completely, starting from the base and moving upwards. Maintain a consistent breathing pattern.
- Step 3: Mental Calm: Clear your mind of stray thoughts and focus on a sense of complete relaxation. Reassure yourself that you are carefree, free from worries, and content. Allow sleep to naturally wash over you as you unwind. You can close your eyes when you feel ready, but avoid forcing this transition. Sleep will embrace you when the time is right.
The Centered Mind Approach
- Simplicity in Practice: Lie down comfortably, close your eyes, and gently shift your focus to the center of your mind, situated between your eyebrows. Let your thoughts dissolve as you relax. Whenever stray thoughts intrude, gently dismiss them and return your focus to this central point.
- Embracing Mindful Emptiness: Avoid letting frustration take hold, and don’t allow your thoughts to run rampant. Concentrate on your breath and the serene emptiness of your mind. Gradually, you’ll drift into a peaceful slumber.
Qigong Beyond Sleep
While Qigong can undoubtedly improve sleep quality, its benefits extend far beyond restorative rest. This ancient practice encompasses an array of exercises, meditations, and techniques that nurture physical and mental health, empowering individuals to improve their overall well-being. Explore the vast realm of Qigong to unlock its full potential in enhancing various aspects of your life via our 1 on 1 classes or Subscription.