Chinese massage therapy, also known as Tuina (推拿), literally means to “push and grasp.” It is a form of massage therapy that utilizes various techniques to help people achieve muscle relaxation, better blood circulation, and stronger immunity. It is a widely used massage technique used in China.
What is Tuina?
- Tuina, which translates to “push and grasp” in Chinese, is a massage therapy technique used to promote muscle relaxation, improve blood circulation, and enhance immunity.
- It relies solely on the practitioner’s hands and doesn’t require specific equipment or locations.
Integration with Chinese Medical Theories
- Tuina therapy is deeply rooted in Chinese medical theories. It is an integral part of clinical Chinese medicine.
- Practitioners need to have knowledge of Chinese medicinal theories. This includes concepts such as the five elements of yin-yang, meridian channels, qi and blood, and the classification of the eight principles.
Tuina Massage Benefits
- Tuina therapy aims to balance yin and yang, adjust qi and blood flow, remove air and moisture, warm the meridians, relieve cold sensations, stimulate blood circulation, and reduce swelling and pain.
- It can be used to treat various illnesses and health conditions.
- Ancient Chinese doctors like Bian-que and Hua-tuo utilized this massage therapy to treat various ailments.
- The massage therapy has a rich history. Its practice expands into different clinical areas during various dynasties, such as internal medicine, maternal medicine, pediatrics, and external medicine.
- Modern medicine acknowledges the physiological effects of massage therapy. It stimulates sebaceous glands, sweat glands, hair follicles, blood vessels, and nerve endings beneath the skin.
- These actions lead to biophysical and biochemical changes in the body and influence deep muscle layers, tendons, nerves, blood vessels, lymph nodes, and other structures.
- By regulating nerves and bodily fluids, the massage therapy induces positive biological and pathological changes, improving bodily functions and restoring normal states.
- Effective Tuina massage necessitates evenness, gentleness, persistence, and strength.
- Evenness involves maintaining harmony in speed, scope of movement, and pressure.
- Gentleness means using consistent, mild, agile, light, and non-shallow movements.
- Persistence involves sustaining techniques and the connection between form and strength over an adequate period.
- Strength is the foundation, and technique is crucial for achieving therapeutic results.
Tuina Depth of Impact
- The massage therapy doesn’t only affect the body’s surface. It can also reach deep areas of muscles, blood vessels, bones, tissues, and even organs.
- Proper strength and technique are essential for achieving optimal therapeutic outcomes.
Many athletes and those who overuse their back utilize Tuina. It is found within pretty much every Chinese Medicine clinic in Asia. Currently, it is increasing in popularity within the west. Those interested should search for facilities nearby their location.